Re: Canvas Accessibility Next steps

On Jan 24, 2010, at 2:44 PM, Richard Schwerdtfeger wrote:

> Hi Maciej,
>
> I understand. I have two concerns with this approach:
>
> 1. id names are not reserved. Potentially, and although remote, an author could randomly have chosen those id's. We want to have reserved CSS Properties that may applied to any web page.

That's true for the id names. But it's not true for the media type names. What the user would choose via accessibility preferences and choice of assistive technologies is what media type they are browsing with. The id names are not exposed to the user, they are just a mechanism to bind to media-type-specific rules. I could just as well have chosen class names or any other styling hook that CSS has available.

> 2. Authors may wish to choose a src file to be rendered. Companies are providing public APIs out there to provide reusable content such as a Google Map and with a small parameter change the driving directions. We should allow authors to provide entire remote fragments as alternatives to canvas to pul into a web page.

> Here are three versions of the driving directions:
>
> http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&output=html&hl=en&q=3832+royal+troon+drive+Round+Rock%2C+78664+to+11501+burnet+road+austin+78758&dirmode=walking&ie=UTF8&dirflg=w
>
> http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&output=map&hl=en&q=3832+royal+troon+drive+Round+Rock%2C+78664+to+11501+burnet+road+austin+78758&dirmode=walking&ie=UTF8&dirflg=w
>
> http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&output=kml&hl=en&q=3832+royal+troon+drive+Round+Rock%2C+78664+to+11501+burnet+road+austin+78758&dirmode=walking&ie=UTF8&dirflg=w

What is Google's current UI to let users choose between these? (I honestly don't know.)

Regards,
Maciej