Re: What defines a "plugin"? WRT sandboxing?

On Sun, 24 Jan 2010 08:44:31 -0500, Leonard Rosenthol <lrosenth@adobe.com>
wrote:

> When defining and implementing sandboxing, is the requirement to disable
> plugins restricted ONLY to actual technologies implemented by plugins to
> the browser/UA _OR_ does it really mean content not in a format
> documented by the HTML5 spec.
>
> For example, Safari (on the Mac) knows how to natively view PDF
> documents.  If Safari encounters an HTML document with a reference to an
> embedded PDF (<object> or <embed>) it will currently render that
> document through its own technology, whereas other browsers will use
> available plugins to do so.  When that same HTML is now served as
> sandbox, then clearly the other browsers will stop viewing PDF - but
> should Safari?
>
> OR consider Adobe AIR which (through WebKit) can act as an HTML5 UA and
> incorporates native support for Flash.  Does it have to disable Flash,
> since it isn't using sandbox?
>
> Looking forward to the discussion...

I was wondering about this too.

Also, with Java, what if the browser more or less embeds Java directly and
doesn't use the NPAPI plug-ins. Is Java still considered a plug-in then in
the browser?

Or, should we say that "all plug-ins" + "all native things that don't
support sandbox"?

--
Michael