Re: Discussion on Change Proposal for ISSUE-66

On Thu, Jan 21, 2010 at 6:20 AM, Shelley Powers <shelley.just@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 21, 2010 at 2:44 AM, Jonas Sicking <jonas@sicking.cc> wrote:
>> I don't understand why we would *forbid* UAs from improving image
>> accessibility by whatever means they can.
>>
>> However I do agree with the change proposal in that I would be fine
>> with removing the current text. However I would suggest replacing it
>> with a general statement that UAs are allowed to improve accessibility
>> in any way it can. Even if that goes against the letter of the spec.
>>
>> This is similar to how I think the spec should say that UAs should be
>> allowed to deviate from the spec for security reasons if the UA so
>> desires.
>>

> That's a dangerous precedent to take.
>
> If a UA sees the potential for security risks in any of the specs, it
> should be working, now, to ensure the component leading to the risk is
> removed, or altered.

And we do. But many times security issues aren't discovered until a
spec is in a spec where making quick modifications are possible.

> Removing the sentence doesn't say UAs aren't allowed to improve
> accessibility -- it's just removing what amounts to an
> overspecification.

Oh? What language in the spec allows this? I interpreted the MUSTs in
the specs as MUSTs under all conditions except when explicitly stated
otherwise.

/ Jonas