RE: Discussion on Change Proposal for ISSUE-66

From: John Foliot <jfoliot@stanford.edu>
Date: Wed, 20 Jan 2010 19:28:43 -0800 (PST)
To: "'Maciej Stachowiak'" <mjs@apple.com>
Cc: "'Matt May'" <mattmay@adobe.com>, "'HTML WG'" <public-html@w3.org>
Maciej Stachowiak wrote:

> I haven't seen any follow-up discussion. I'm interested in hearing
> what the rest of the Working Group thinks. Does anyone strongly agree
> with Matt that the sentence he objects to should be removed? Does
> anyone strongly feel that the sentence should be retained? Does anyone
> have alternate wording to suggest that might be acceptable to everyone?

FWIW, I agree with Matt that even *if* an automated means could be
developed that delivered 100% accurate descriptions of an image (I'm
skeptical of that), no amount of heuristics can determine the author
intent for adding an image to a specific page (as Matt detailed), and so
in the end the desire for heuristic analysis as a replacement for author
provided alternative text provides a false 'out' for not actually adding
alt text.

I support the Change Proposal as submitted.

JF