Re: Proposal: Canvas accessibility and a media querries approach for alternative content (Action Item 6 in the HTML Accessibility Task Force)

hi philip, thanks for the explanation, i think i understand better now,

the only immediate point of concern I have about your explanantion is:

* These canvas-element event handlers shouldn't change the focus (I think).
If they did, it would cause focus rings to get drawn for basic graphical
users who don't care about the accessible fallback at all, and focus rings
are ugly. (Users who do care can use the tab key etc to focus the
user-interaction elements, which will cause the focus rings to get drawn.)
 >(Users who do care can use the tab key etc to focus the user-interaction
elements, which will cause the focus rings to get drawn.)

basing the drawing of focus rings only for keyboard users does not resolve
the issue for  a range of users who use a mouse, but benefit from the viusal
cue of the focus ring , telling users you must use the keyboard to get the
focus ring is not really an option.

focus is drawn on most elements in browsers and on the desktop, when an
element receives focus not just for keyboard users. For whizz bang designers
an indication of focus may be something ugly (thus the use of CSS
outline:none) but for the majority of government, ecommerce
educational sites it is necessary if they want to conform to either section
508 or WCAG 2.0.(being a reflection of disabled users requirements).

for example section 508 1194.21 [
http://www.section508.gov/index.cfm?FuseAction=Content&ID=12#Software]
(c) A well-defined on-screen indication of the current focus shall be
provided that moves among interactive interface elements as the input focus
changes. The focus shall be programmatically exposed so that assistive
technology can track focus and focus changes.

regards
stevef

--
with regards