Re: Proposal: Canvas accessibility and a media querries approach for alternative content (Action Item 6 in the HTML Accessibility Task Force)

hi henri,
ok sounds like sound reasoning. it was a suggestion arising from my lack of
understanding of the intricacies of this stuff.
>It *might* make sense to make drawfocus(element, ...) call element.focus()
unconditionally. However, keeping drawfocus() as focus() distinct would seem
to >be more fitting to a low level API as far as separation of concerns
goes. At the very least, repeated calls to drawfocus(element, ) with the
same element >shouldn't cause element to refocus every time but to focus the
first time and then remain focused if drawfocus() is called again without
focusing something >else in between.

currently the spec [
http://dev.w3.org/html5/2dcontext/Overview.html#focus-management] says:
> If element is not focused or is not a descendant of the element with whose
context the method is associated, then return false and abort these steps.

So whenever  drawfocus() is called, the location of current focus is
checked, so it should be easy enough to not refocus if the element
referenced has focus.

this could be changed to:

 If element is not a descendant of the element with whose context the method
is associated, then return false and abort these steps.

 If the element is a descendant of the element with whose context the method
is associated and is not focused move focus to the element.

this i think would save work for the developer and make it more attractive
to provide interaction through a subdom of HTML elements for all users,
which will provide benefits for users with disabilities, while minimising
the provision of of additional requirements.

regards
stevef

--
with regards