Re: Proposal: Canvas accessibility and a media querries approach for alternative content (Action Item 6 in the HTML Accessibility Task Force)

On Wed, 20 Jan 2010, Maciej Stachowiak wrote:

> Furthermore, objects in a canvas need not be rectangular and in general
> can be all sorts of funny shapes. While a rectangle might be the best
> approximation we can do for focus purposes, it would not be appropriate
> to force that restriction for hit testing. Not only that, but visual
> objects in the canvas can stack, and knowing their focus rectangles
> alone does not tell you the z-order, so even hit testing of purely
> rectangular objects might not work right (z-order might not match
> logical order and therefore might not be the order in which things
> appear in the hidden/fallback/model DOM.

Indeed.

The focus area in canvas (as drawn by .drawFocusRing()) can be
non-rectangular, however. It just uses the canvas path. UAs can
approximate that to a rectangle if necessary, of course, e.g. if that is
the platform convention or if the system doesn't support drawing
non-rectangular focus rings.

In either case, once the method is called, there is no retention of the
focus ring position, since this is an immediate-mode API and not a
retained-mode API.