Re: <iframe doc="">

>> When you load HTML into an object/embed, what you get is exactly
>> the same as an iframe.

maybe so for some set of sameness. I think read the standard for the
different elements.
If webkit is safari, then yes I can show a couple of examples that
don't work. Not html but a test for a plugin look at:
http://www.hypermultimedia.com/x3d/URLTests/
is just an example of some simple test for a plugin maybe not quite
ready to show and all example support files are not complete now. Tell
me if you want to find out more.

The main idea in these examples is that a click in the plugin <object>
element requests a new URL for either a new complete scene, or a
sound, or a texture. In order for this to work the plugin has to be
able to to run its own script engine and request a url from somewhere
and the host has to cooperate.

One testing step would be to instead create a simple html file with an
to replace the contained document. And also figure out how the host
DOM can affect the nested DOM.

> If you put text/html into an <object> element (which is what we're
> suggesting with @doc), then it acts just like a frame.

An iframe is not a frame. and iframe is not an object. Maybe for html
content the functionality could be similar but there is a very narrow
band where an object should act like an iframe unless the iframe does
actually represent a separate browser instance. Otherwise that seems
only slightly nutty to me. Including @doc in <object> is even more
over the edge and totally bordering on I don't know what.
.
> In WebKit, HTMLObjectElement, which represents the <object> element,
> is a subclass of HTMLFrameOwnerElement, which represents all the
> frame-like elements (e.g., <frame>, <iframe>).

Now we also have <frame>? I need to see a picture of the hierarchy but
I don't see much close connection between <iframe> and <object>. I do
know that Safari is really the most far behind in figuring out what to
do with plugins.

Thanks and Best Regards,
Joe