Re: XSS risk from iframe@doc?

Ian Hickson wrote:
> On Sun, 17 Jan 2010, Adam Barth wrote:
>> Whenever we add a new syntax for executing script, there is some risk
>> that web sites with weak XSS filters will mistakenly let attackers
>> inject scripting using the new syntax.  For example, a web site might
>> let an attacker inject the following string:
>>
>> <iframe doc="<script>alert(1)</script>">
>>
>> [...]
>
> doc="" is only meant to be used with sandbox="". I can just make it not do
> anything at all if sandbox="" isn't specified, if that helps.

An XSS filter that lets the user give a doc attribute will let the user
give a sandbox attribute too, i.e. they can write

   <iframe doc="<script>alert(1)</script>" sandbox="allow-scripts">

So as far as I can see, making it do nothing when there's no sandbox
attribute doesn't help.

--
Philip Taylor
pjt47@cam.ac.uk