Re: <iframe doc="">

Ian Hickson, Fri, 15 Jan 2010 02:26:49 +0000 (UTC):
> On Fri, 15 Jan 2010, Leif Halvard Silli wrote:
>>
>> I checked (earlier today) and did not find anything under <iframe>, so I
>> think Ian is discussing the issue before adding anything - as he
>> indicated in his first message. ;-)
>
> Indeed. (Well, there's the comment in the source that's been there for a
> few months, but it doesn't really give much in the way of details.)

Good approach!

>> I don't know. It may be useful to be able to have a text/html section
>> inside a XHTML document - is that what you mean? But I suppose one would
>> also expect to be able to have a XHTML document in a XHTML document?
>> Though, of course, the XHTML doc could be interpreted as text/html ...
>
> As I see it, the options are:
>
> * Have doc="" in XML documents (and DOM-created documents that aren't
> flagged as an "HTML document") be parsed as XML. This has the advantage of
> being unsurprising.

Indeed.
___
>> As for <iframe> in a text/html document, would the code inside @doc have
>> to be a full HTML document, with DOCTYPE and everything, or could it be
>> a code fragment (for which the UA would generate the full DOM -
>> presumably)?
>
> That's one of the open issues, but so far I'm leaning towards making the
> DOCTYPE be always implied and making the <title> optional, at least for
> text/html.
>
> I'm not sure what to do for the XML variant;

May be Kornel had a solution to several problems at once: replace @doc
with @body ?
___
>> Would the code iniside @doc be validated?
>
> By browsers? Or validators? Or...? There should certainly be authoring
> conformance criteria, as with anything else, IMHO.

I meant by validators. And in that regard: You and Boris discussed the
similarity with data URIs. And it was said that quotes inside @doc
would have to be escaped. But what kind of escaping? Would it be the
same kind of escape as in data URIs -  that is (I suppose) percentage
escaping? Would it be another kind of escape - like character
references/entities?  I suppose it should be enough to use single
quotes if @doc itself uses double quotes? <iframe doc=" <element
attr='value'></element> " > ? And a third kind of "escape" would be to
not use quotes, when the text/html serialisation permits that ...
--
leif halvard silli