Re: Decentralised extensibility idea (ISSUE-41)

From: Henri Sivonen <hsivonen@iki.fi>
Date: Fri, 15 Jan 2010 15:38:37 +0200
Cc: "Toby Inkster" <tai@g5n.co.uk>, "public-html@w3.org" <public-html@w3.org>
To: Philip Jägenstedt <philipj@opera.com>
On Jan 15, 2010, at 11:06, Philip Jägenstedt wrote:

> As a side note, I'm not sure what kind of page one would find at http://example.com/CarML/html5 in your example, but what is possibly missing from microdata is some formal way of describing the vocabulary to automate validation.

Caution! That way lie permathreads including long-lived TAG issues.
http://www.w3.org/2001/tag/group/track/issues/8

Hosting XSD files at XML namespace URIs didn't turn out to be a success.

> I think it's premature to standardize anything though, experimentation is necessary.

I was planning on adding Microdata vocabulary support to Validator.nu by mapping the Microdata tree to an XML infoset and then applying RELAX NG validation to the synthetic infoset. I haven't evaluated the recent edits to Microdata to see if this approach is still feasible. In any case, I wouldn't want to require other implementors to support this hack for validating Microdata.

--
Henri Sivonen
hsivonen@iki.fi