Re: Proposal: Canvas accessibility and a media querries approach for alternative content (Action Item 6 in the HTML Accessibility Task Force)

On Jan 13, 2010, at 6:31 PM, Ian Hickson wrote:

> In your scenario, it's clear that users with visual UAs are catered for,
> whether they need ATs to help with poor eyesight, ATs to help with poor
> motor controls, or other needs. However, it isn't clear to me how it
> handles users with no sight at all.

The fallback contents of a graphing application could be the editable data grid whose values are synced with the values rendered in the graph. Leaving the visual rendering visible would allow blind and sighted co-workers to collaborate. For example, if I use my mouse to update the sine curve on a visible graph, the bound value updates in the shadow DOM, allowing my blind co-worker, Bob, to perceive that value. Likewise, if he updates a value in the data grid, I can perceive that change as a visible re-rendering of the chart. If this example sounds like a hypothetical stretch to you, you'd be really surprised at how adept many screen reader users are.

James