Re: Dublin Core review of HTML5

From: Dan Brickley <danbri@danbri.org>
Date: Thu, 14 Jan 2010 09:19:43 +0100
To: Larry Masinter <masinter@adobe.com>
Cc: "DC-GENERAL@JISCMAIL.AC.UK" <DC-GENERAL@jiscmail.ac.uk>, "public-html@w3.org" <public-html@w3.org>
On Thu, Jan 14, 2010 at 3:36 AM, Larry Masinter <masinter@adobe.com> wrote:
> The W3C HTML working group is developing a new version of HTML.
>
> The subject of metadata and vocabularies is being debated.
>
> It was noted that there is a Dublin Core effort specification
>
> http://dublincore.org/documents/dc-html/
>
> for use of Dublin Core in HTML, and there also seems to be
>
> some activity on the Dublin Core mailing list
>

>  https://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/cgi-bin/webadmin?S2=DC-GENERAL&q=html5
>

> My ACTION-169 was to send a note to the Dublin Core group.
> The content of the note wasn’t specified exactly, but I think
> it was to invite review of HTML5.

Hi Larry,

Thanks for the outreach. Dublin Core has long been involved in the
HTML/metadata discussions, and was one of the original sources of
requirements for RDF. Can you suggest exactly which documents members
of the DC community should most usefully be reviewing?

> One thing to note that the current HTML5 specification
> has removed the “profile” attribute of the “head” element,
> which dc-html seems to use. The removal of “profile”
> is under discussion in W3C HTML WG as ISSUE-55.

That's good to know about. There has been talk here (DC-land) of
moving towards more strongly recommending RDFa as a strategy for
HTML-inline metadata. Currently XHTML is the only option there. If
profile is taken away, that might force the migration to happen more
hastily. Can you summarise the status of RDFa-in-HTML?

cheers,

Dan

(in personal capacity, but I'll bounce this thread to the Advisory
Board to make sure it gets other perspectives)