Re: CfC: Publish HTML5 Microdata as First Public Working Draft and a new HTML5 Working Draft

Robin Berjon wrote:
>> I'll also note that Microdata is very similar to RDFa, and so would
>> seem to be covered by the sentence you cite from the charter.
>
> That is my reading as well (albeit equally non-native): since RDFa is listed as an example of an in-charter vocabulary, and since Microdata has similar scope, Microdata is inside the boundaries of the charter.
>
> I support this publication.

What the charter (<http://www.w3.org/2007/03/HTML-WG-charter.html>) says
about RDFa is:

"The HTML WG is encouraged to provide a mechanism to permit
independently developed vocabularies such as Internationalization Tag
Set (ITS), Ruby, and RDFa to be mixed into HTML documents. Whether this
occurs through the extensibility mechanism of XML, whether it is also
allowed in the classic HTML serialization, and whether it uses the DTD
and Schema modularization techniques, is for the HTML WG to determine."

So this is about *extension mechanisms* for mixing in things *like*
RDFa, not for developing these extensions themselves.

I have no issue with publishing Microdata as Working Draft, in
particular because we already went into the same direction with RDFa.
But as far as I understand, the charter does *not* cover this. What it
*does* cover is developing an extension mechanism for the HTML
serialization, and we haven't done that so far.

Best regards, Julian