Re: New split-out drafts

Karl Dubost wrote:
> Le 9 janv. 2010 à 18:38, James Graham a écrit :
>> a monolithic spec that is well structured and available in both
>> single-page and multi-page versions is rather similar to a spec
>> that is split into many different documents
>
> Not if you consider the evolution of the individual documents. Let's
> put aside the usability issue for a while, and let's think only in
> terms of technology. Having small individual pieces which are
> orthogonal in design helps to move forward a technology. Let's say
> that Canvas 3D gets a lot of traction, it will be cool to be able to
> republish only this part of the technology and not having to publish
> everything again.

Even if Canvas 3D wasn't already in its own spec, I have to wonder why?
  A new WD of HTML5 is published frequently enough, and most of us work
from the more up to date editors draft anyway, rather than the static,
quickly-out-of-date WD snapshot.  Publication as a WD is just a
formality with no impact on the ability of the editor's draft to be
reviewed at any time.  So, what real benefit is there in being able to
have something published independently?

--
Lachlan Hunt - Opera Software
http://lachy.id.au/