Re: CfC: Publish HTML5 Microdata as First Public Working Draft and a new HTML5 Working Draft

On Fri, Jan 8, 2010 at 7:14 PM, Maciej Stachowiak <mjs@apple.com> wrote:

> On Jan 8, 2010, at 4:54 PM, Shelley Powers wrote:
>
>> I do not support the publication of Microdata as a W3C FPWD.
>>
>> The same concerns we had previously, that the W3C seemingly promoting
>> two separate metadata approaches would cause confusion, still applies.
>>
>> I think it would be better for the specification to be a WhatWG only
>> publication, as Microformats has its own support organization.
>
> As a purely personal comment, I don't think we should be encouraging Web
> technologies to be published in a way that is not covered by a suitable
> patent policy.
>
> Regards,
> Maciej

Mine was just a suggestion.

I don't care what happens to the document, as I stated in my comment
on the poll. And though I realize a FPWD doesn't demonstrate W3C
support, I'm concerned it could imply W3C support. The W3C seemingly
supporting two competing metadata specifications does not seem either
productive or consistent.

Adoption of this specification by another group would allow it to grow
on its own, and remove the seeming contradiction with having it under
W3C auspices.

So whether my objection has meaning or not, or will impact on whether
the document is published FPWD, it is consistent with my opinion
expressed in the poll. To withdraw it would be inconsistent.

Shelley