Re: Should <video> buffer control be tri-state?

From: Aryeh Gregor <Simetrical+w3c@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 10 Jan 2010 07:58:07 -0500
To: robert@ocallahan.org
Cc: Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@mit.edu>, Silvia Pfeiffer <silviapfeiffer1@gmail.com>, Eric Carlson <eric.carlson@apple.com>, Kornel <kornel@geekhood.net>, public-html@w3.org
On Sat, Jan 9, 2010 at 11:57 PM, Robert O'Callahan <robert@ocallahan.org> wrote:
> I think it would be reasonable to offer preload="no", preload="metadata",
> preload="playthrough" and preload="all" with the understanding that due to
> resource or policy limits any value (other than "no") is only a hint and the
> user agent may not be able to honor it.

This seems like the best proposal so far, to me.  The name "preload"
is clear enough that I'm not *too* worried about authors misusing it,
at least if they look at the HTML they're using (although I'm sure
some still will).  I would really like the spec to say that in the
absence of a preload attribute, UAs *should* try to guess what videos
users will play, and behave somewhere between preload="metadata" and
preload="playthrough" depending on how likely they think it is.  As an
author, it would be nice not to have to specify this explicitly in
most cases -- one less thing to worry about.