Re: Should <video> buffer control be tri-state?

On Sun, Jan 10, 2010 at 5:16 PM, Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@mit.edu> wrote:

> On 1/9/10 1:19 PM, Silvia Pfeiffer wrote:
>
>> I suggest calling it preload (preload="no", preload="metadata",

>>> resource to be stored on the client machine, so you certainly don't want to
>>> preload the entire thing.
>>>
>>> eric
>>>

>> I agree. Maybe "progressive" is the correct word? (nipped from
>> "progressive streaming", of course)
>>

> What about "playthrough" (as in, keep buffering at least until you would
> fire the canplaythrough event)?

That's really a different feature.

"all" gives you the possibility of seeking anywhere more or less instantly.
It also gives you a higher probability of being able to play through without
stalling, because canplaythrough is an approximation and can be wrong due to
varying network conditions.

I think it would be reasonable to offer preload="no", preload="metadata",
preload="playthrough" and preload="all" with the understanding that due to
resource or policy limits any value (other than "no") is only a hint and the
user agent may not be able to honor it.

Rob
53:5-6]