RE: CfC: Publish HTML5 Microdata as First Public Working Draft and a new HTML5 Working Draft

Maciej:

> Although Working Draft publications do not require consensus, I
> encourage you to consider withdrawing this objection for the following
> reasons ...

------

I don't withdraw my objections recorded in:
http://www.w3.org/2002/09/wbs/40318/issue-76-objection-poll/results

which apply to this CfC.
-----

> - The HTML WG charter specifically calls for us to include extension
> mechanisms: "The HTML WG is encouraged to provide a mechanism to
> permit independently developed vocabularies ... to be mixed into HTML
> documents." Microdata is one way to mix in such vocabularies.

But the actually charter which you only selectively quoted says:

 "The HTML WG is encouraged to provide a mechanism to permit
  independently developed vocabularies such as Internationalization
  Tag Set (ITS), Ruby, and RDFa to be mixed into HTML documents."

Microdata does not provide a means of including Internationalized
Tag Set, Ruby, OR RDFa, and so "Microdata is one way to mix in such
vocabularies" is false, and your misquoting inappropriate.

-----
> - There is precedent for this Working Group to publish a separate
> Working Draft that adds an extension mechanism to HTML, namely HTML
> +RDFa. No one objected to that publication as out of scope, either
> before or after publication.

I didn't formally object at the time, but I didn't think
it was a good idea, and said so in my poll comments.
"No one objected to that publication as out of scope" is false.

In any case, the precedent cited should not continue to be
followed.

----

> Working Draft publications do not have to have
> consensus and do not even meet requirements. In the spirit of wider
> review and openness to exploratory development, this Working Group has
> previously approved Working Drafts that not all members agreed with on
> a technical level.

The Microdata material has already been available and
discussed, and so does not qualify for "spirit of
wider review and openness to exploratory development".

In any case, we're too late in the process of the W3C HTML
working group to publish, at this time, under this charter,
new material that was not part of HTML4, and for which there
is not a clear preponderance of opinion that the technology
covered by the document is, or should be, part of HTML.

Even if there were reasons in the past for allowing Working
Draft publications that do not have consensus or meet
requirements, this is not part of the current documented
HTML Working Group Decision Policy and should not be.

-----

Finally, I sent in privately a comment from a colleague
and metadata expert, which I believe reads on the decision
to publish Microdata in HTML WG.

Although working group members may prefer to hear opinions
first-hand, I think the formal W3C process allows
representation of opinions by others (although this is
not clear in the HTML Working Group Decision Policy.)

For the record, what I sent was: