Re: sections removed, current and ongoing

On Fri, Jan 8, 2010 at 11:52 AM, Shelley Powers <shelley.just@gmail.com> wrote:
> The procedure in place was to prevent the seemingly never ending
> circular discussions that arise when there is significant disagreement
> in the group. Discussions such as that for Microdata, and summary.

Never-ending circularity is a quality of discussions, not decisions.
Hixie has been perfectly content in the past to ignore extraneous bits
of permathreads and just cite the original or best versions of
arguments when giving a  decision.

The process, as occurred here, allowed a relatively large
non-editorial decision to be made with *no* discussion.

> As courtesy, I also made sure my bugs were
> cc'd to the group. I will take them a step further, and specifically
> send emails detailing my bugs to the email group from now on.

That shouldn't be required.  The de facto procedure in place
(discussion on the list) has worked satisfactorily since before the
HTMLWG was restarted for HTML5.  If moving to bugs first and the
mailing list second is supposed to be a part of our "procedure", then
something is seriously broken here.  The bug-tracker should, imo, only
be used for the auto-commenting that the spec document allows, and
then for raising issues further that aren't properly resolved in the
list (and even then, I don't think it's generally necessary or
useful).

~TJ