Re: Should <video> buffer control be tri-state?

On Jan 5, 2010, at 18:35, Philip Jägenstedt wrote:

> I support replacing the autobuffer attribute with a buffering attribute,
> Absence of autobuffer is replaced with buffering="auto" (um, this
> reversion *will* confuse, but oh well) while its presence is replaced with
> buffering="full".

Would you consider a new buffering attribute better than using the existing attributes as follows?

 * If the autobuffer attribute is present, select "full buffering strategy" and abort these steps.
 * If the poster attribute is present, select "no buffering strategy" and abort these steps.
 * Otherwise, select "partial buffering strategy".

Where the strategies are as follows:
"full buffering strategy": Buffer the video fully (or less if fully buffering would hit cache size limits).
"no buffering strategy": Don't request any piece of the video at all before the video is played.
"partial buffering strategy": Request enough of the video to be able to decode the first frame and (format permitting) discover the duration.

--
Henri Sivonen
hsivonen@iki.fi