Re: Taking another round at @summary

On Tue, Jan 5, 2010 at 10:48 PM, Denis Boudreau
<dboudreau@webconforme.com> wrote:
> On 2010-01-05, at 6:24 PM, Ian Hickson wrote:
>
> Nobody is suggesting making tables less accessible. The proposal in the
> spec is to make pages _more_ accessible by transitioning from using
> summary="" to using a variety of more effective techniques.
>
> I agree. But nobody has suggested otherwise.
> Some people believe @summary needs to be replaced by something better
> because it's not used properly, it's technologically outdated, no geeky
> enough, whatever.
> Others think that we should simply do a little more education and outreach
> so authors finally learn to use it properly. We've pulled stunts like that
> before on much more complicated stuff.
> Why couldn't we fix what's broken instead of reinventing a wheel that a lot
> of AT users won't be able to benefit from because they'll remain stuck with
> their old AT versions that won't support all this new "variety of more
> effective techniques"?

The question should never be why not to have a feature, but why to
have it. So my question is why should we have @summary in the spec? As
far as I can tell all the problems that @summary aimed to solve, are
already solved by aria-describedby. And solved better than @summary
does.

If you think you could successfully evangelize @summary to be used,
why not instead spend that effort to evangelize aria-describedby?

And my understanding is that most AT tools are working on implementing
aria. Firefox already supports it. Don't know what the state is in
other browsers. So it seems likely that tool support is the smaller
problem here.

/ Jonas