Re: "Controlled environments" in scope for HTML working group

From: Henri Sivonen <hsivonen@iki.fi>
Date: Tue, 5 Jan 2010 16:34:10 +0200
Cc: Maciej Stachowiak <mjs@apple.com>, Adam Barth <w3c@adambarth.com>, Larry Masinter <masinter@adobe.com>, HTMLwg WG <public-html@w3.org>
To: Julian Reschke <julian.reschke@gmx.de>
On Jan 4, 2010, at 19:48, Julian Reschke wrote:

> For instance, an enterprise portal might be a "controlled environment".

I understand "controlled environment" in standards parlance to mean that one party controls all pieces participating is a system (parties to communication in the case of protocols and formats).

As I understand it, the whole point of implementing enterprise portals using Web technologies is to enable the use of off-the-shelf client software (browsers). Would the way the off-the-shelf client software reacts to doctypes be "controlled" by the enterprise?

Would some kind of content production and ingest into portal workflow be a "controlled environment"?

What's the controlled environment here where both HTML producers and consumers are controlled by the controller?

--
Henri Sivonen
hsivonen@iki.fi