RE: HTML+RDFa, Microdata, and Canvas in HTML WG

Thanks, Tim. I think this decision resolves the concerns I raised
about handling this work strictly within the current working group
structure. I will be glad to see the documents published with a
clear "Status of This Document" with a summary of this Decision
and a pointer to the Decision itself; it would seem that this
would also inform the reviewing community.

===========================
> It is important
  > (a) that the design be modular;
  > (b) that the specifications be kept modular and
  >  (c) that the communities of expertise of the respective fields
  > (graphics and data) be involved in the design process.

I am glad to see you emphasize these points, and I believe
bringing back these design principles into the future of
HTML are crucial.

> I am asking the domain lead  to annotate the charter in place
> to make these points clearer to newcomers.

I agree: the divergence of the written charter and the
actual work and process of the group has been misleading,
and making the actual work of the group explicit has been
long overdue.

> I encourage the group to establish joint task forces to help ensure
that
> the needs of the larger community are met.

Thank you for acknowledging my request that the work on
the topics of embedded graphics and embedded data be
handled by focused sub-groups. Joint task forces with
HTML WG and groups specifically chartered to deal with
those topics are an appropriate way of resolving the
issue of "scope".

> I appreciate the continued work of the group and
> co-Chairs to ensure constructive inter and intra-group
> communication, and to make the HTML Working
> Group a forum conducive to participation.

I appreciate that too; I agree that as a general community
we will be better served with clear and honest communications as they
will
lead to a more collaborative process and hopefully, a swifter one.

Thanks,

Larry
--
http://larry.masinter.net