Re: CfC: Adopt ISSUE-1 PINGUI / ISSUE-2 PINGPOST Change Proposal to remove @ping from HTML5

On Tue, 23 Feb 2010, Maciej Stachowiak wrote:

> The WHATWG drafts that I expect would contain this material are:
>
> "HTML5 (including next generation additions still in development)"
>  (This includes the contents of W3C HTML5, plus some other W3C drafts , plus
> some material for future development)
>
> [...] the first name strikes me as a little odd (how can it be version
> 5, and yet also include next generation additions?)

The name is transitory -- we had renamed it to just "HTML", but there were
requests from prominent advocates to use the term "HTML5" in the title to
clarify the relationship between that draft and the set of technologies
more widely known as "HTML5". The intent is to eventually transition to a
versionless naming scheme, probably in a few years, after HTML5 is more
mainstream and advocates of open Web technologies want to move on to the
next generation of Web tech.

Since this name was the result of quite a long debate within the WHATWG
community, it is unlikely to change again without strong reasons.

Cheers,
--
Ian Hickson
(with my rarely-worn "WHATWG liason" hat on, not with my "editor" hat on)