Re: CfC: Adopt ISSUE-1 PINGUI / ISSUE-2 PINGPOST Change Proposal to remove @ping from HTML5

On Tue, Feb 23, 2010 at 6:38 PM, Maciej Stachowiak <mjs@apple.com> wrote:

> The original Change Proposal for these two issues proposed removing the <a
> ping> attribute and associated hyperlink auditing feature. Although we had a
> counter-proposal, we now seem to have consensus that it is ok to drop this
> feature from HTML5. Thus, we should adopt the Change Proposal to remove the
> feature. The feature could still be proposed again for a later issue of
> HTML, or the issue could be re-raised if new information is provided (such
> as implementation experience  or server-side deployment experience.)
>
> If there are no objections, these two issues will be closed on March 2,
> 2010.
>
> http://dev.w3.org/html5/status/issue-status.html#ISSUE-001
> http://dev.w3.org/html5/status/issue-status.html#ISSUE-002

My understanding is that one of the objections to keeping @ping in the
spec is that HTTP requires that POST requests are not made by the UA
unless this has been made clear to the user that this is happening.
I.e. that the HTTP spec requires some type of UI. And since @ping will
use a UI very similar to "ping less" links, this would then be counter
to the requirements in the HTTP spec.

Is this a correct understanding? The question is directed towards the
people that have been arguing for @ping to be removed from HTML5.

If a future version of HTTP, such as the in progress HTTPbis, was
released and removed this UI requirement, would that remove that
specific objection?

I realize that the other objection in the change proposal would
remain. I.e. the argument that sites are unlikely to want to rely on
the feature.

/ Jonas