RE: ISSUE-88 / Re: what's the language of a document ?

> On Sun, 21 Feb 2010, Mark Davis �~X~U wrote:
> >
> > I think that only allowing a single language to be specified is a
> > mistake. There are often multiple languages in a document, and
> forcing
> > one of them must be a "primary" language (and thus neglecting the
> > others) simply doesn't reflect reality. If that can be remedied,
> it
> > should be.
>
> The text that refers to the "primary" language is regarding the
> lang=""
> attribute, which can in general be used on any element. It's
> straight-
> forward to have each language annotated separately.
>
> (We can't make lang="" support multiple languages without defining
> how
> that works with CSS, speech synthesisers, etc, and as far as I know
> nobody
> has proposed a good way to do that.)

The 'lang' attribute is scoped and is used to identify the language of a specific run of text. It really must not have multiple languages or many things (as you cite) will be broken as a result.

The problem that Mark (and Richard) are referring to (I think) is the <meta> pragma, which is not currently and should not be changed to be, IMHO, considered the "primary" language of the document. This pragma can contain a list of languages. One of these might be inferred to be the primary (outer) document processing language if the 'lang' attribute is missing. And that, in a nutshell, is what I think we're wrestling with here: whether the pragma should be wired up to 'lang' in that case, and, if it has more than one language, which language should be applied.

Addison