Re: ISSUE-88 / Re: what's the language of a document ?

On Sun, 21 Feb 2010, Mark Davis â~X~U wrote:

> I think that only allowing a single language to be specified is a
> mistake. There are often multiple languages in a document, and forcing
> one of them must be a "primary" language (and thus neglecting the
> others) simply doesn't reflect reality. If that can be remedied, it
> should be.

The text that refers to the "primary" language is regarding the lang=""
attribute, which can in general be used on any element. It's straight-
forward to have each language annotated separately.

(We can't make lang="" support multiple languages without defining how
that works with CSS, speech synthesisers, etc, and as far as I know nobody
has proposed a good way to do that.)