Re: no change proposal for ISSUE-55, but a new plan for @profile

Tab Atkins Jr., Sun, 21 Feb 2010 09:26:46 -0600:
> 2010/2/21 Leif Halvard Silli <xn--mlform-iua@xn--mlform-iua.no>:
>> Julian Reschke, Sun, 21 Feb 2010 09:52:27 +0100:
>>>
>>> ...which *does* mean that meta/@name needs to be included.
>>>
>>> I understand the antipattern argument, but that's orthogonal to the
>>> definition of @profile.
>>>
>>> I agree with the part about data-*.
>>
>> So then we are at least two persons that think data-* *should* be
>> included.
>
> If I'm reading Julian correctly, then no, he thinks that @profile
> should not affect data-* attributes.

(Sorry, meant Toby.)

> Data-* interactions with @profile is not required for any existing
> use-cases, and it is explicitly anti-recommended in the current HTML
> draft as data-* attributes should only carry private semantics, not
> publicly-shareable ones.

I don't see why the spec's space ship element example, with its related
data-* attributes,  _has_ to be private (whatever "private" means).
That example works exactly like I imagine: A certain class name
together with a specific element, represents the "space ship element".
And the "space ship element" in turn has some required/optional data-*
attributes.

>  If you believe you have concrete use-cases
> that show the contrary, please indicate them on the page and in the
> manner that Tantek requested.  That will help ensure that maximum
> consideration is given to the idea.

Will add it (unless someone comes before me.)  We might not be as much
in disagreement that it seems though:

I also think that ARIA/@role belongs together with @profile. Not that a
profile can be used to invent aria values. But @profile can be used to
specify classes - aka "elements" - that in turn requires/recommends
specific aria values. The same goes for data-*: It might not be a good
idea to specify that the presence of a particular profile means that
data-myattr="" has a certain meaning. But it is IMHO another thing to
say that @data-myattr="" has a specific meaning inside <span
profile="http://my.example.com" class="my-class" data-myattr="value">.

So, yes, @data-* should be in scope, but only subsequently.
--