Re: Zero-edits Counter Proposal for Issues 1 and 2 (Ping)

From: Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalmage@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 17 Feb 2010 16:09:14 -0600
To: Julian Reschke <julian.reschke@gmx.de>
Cc: Maciej Stachowiak <mjs@apple.com>, public-html@w3.org
On Wed, Feb 17, 2010 at 4:03 PM, Julian Reschke <julian.reschke@gmx.de> wrote:
> Of course it is done in practice. People are accustomed to the fact that
> buttons mean "put in shopping basked"/"buy"/"delete", while blue underlined
> terms are links.

Buttons equally indicate a <form method=GET>, so that's not a reliable
indicator of safe-ness.

> I'm aware that these things are styled, and hacked around, but please don't
> claim that this is not the *default* way to present things.

When we're talking about user interaction and expectations, it's
important to look at the user's experience in practice.  Links are
often styled as buttons as well.

There is a weak correlation between the appearance of a link/button
and its safety.  But it's not strong, and not reliable.

~TJ