Re: Updated DOCTYPE versioning change proposal (ISSUE-4)

On 17 Feb 2010, at 14:34, Leif Halvard Silli wrote:

> Kornel Lesiński, Wed, 17 Feb 2010 14:03:05 +0000:
>>>
>>> Again a theoretical point.
>>
>> How is internal subset in text/html anything but theoretical?
>>
>> It doesn't work in any browser, and AFAIK it never did.
>
> It works fine in any browser and AFAIK it always did:
>
> http://www.målform.no/html4-or-html5/index

By "work" I mean doing what internal subset was defined to do in SGML, rather than being misinterpreted or completely ignored at best.

In text/html parsed by browsers you can't change HTML content model (e.g. you can't create new empty element), you can't define new entities, fixed attributes won't be added to DOM.

i.e. in text/html you are unable to use internal subset for its purpose. At best you can use it to entertain users validating your page in validators that are removed from reality.

--
regards, Kornel