Re: Legacy Doctype and Doctype Versioning

Maciej Stachowiak, Wed, 17 Feb 2010 05:26:40 -0800:

> On Feb 17, 2010, at 5:17 AM, Leif Halvard Silli wrote:
>
>> Philip Taylor, Wed, 17 Feb 2010 09:29:43 +0000:

>>> Yes, but in pre-HTML5 browsers (IE, Firefox 3.6 without html5.enable,
>>> etc) doctypes will still only be parsed up to the *first* ">", so you
>>> will get the characters "]>" inserted as text into the body of the
>>> document, so today you can't use internal subsets in text/html anyway.
>>
>> Firefox and IE do indeed show the "]>". Opera and Konqueror do not.
>> Safari 4 does show it, but since Konqueror does not, then I don't trust
>> that this is a "honest" display. As this test page shows:
>> http://www.målform.no/html4-or-html5/

> What do you mean by "honest"? WebKit forked from KHTML years ago. One
> of the earliest things rewritten was the doctype parsing code, where
> we did our best to copy Gecko. It's not at all surprising that the
> behavior is different.

If that is so, then it of course sounds likely that it is an old issue.
However, if you have copied Firefox so well, then it has to be a new
that it triggers QuirksMode. Because it does not in released Firefox.
--
leif halvard silli