Re: Legacy Doctype and Doctype Versioning

Philip Taylor, Wed, 17 Feb 2010 09:29:43 +0000:
> Julian Reschke wrote:

>>> This is a bogus DOCTYPE in HTML5 because there is no support for parsing
>>> the SGML syntax for the internal subset in the HTML serialisation. [...]
>>
>> ...just trying to understand... a DOCTYPE that previously triggered
>> standards mode will now (as in FF trunk + HTML5 parser) get you to
>> Quirks mode?
>
> Yes, but in pre-HTML5 browsers (IE, Firefox 3.6 without html5.enable,
> etc) doctypes will still only be parsed up to the *first* ">", so you
> will get the characters "]>" inserted as text into the body of the
> document, so today you can't use internal subsets in text/html anyway.

Firefox and IE do indeed show the "]>". Opera and Konqueror do not.
Safari 4 does show it, but since Konqueror does not, then I don't trust
that this is a "honest" display. As this test page shows:
http://www.målform.no/html4-or-html5/

The good news is that it is easy to hide that issue - so you _can_ use
such Doctypes. As this page shows:
http://www.målform.no/html4-or-html5/workaround

But it is only in Opera 10.5 and Safari - and apparently in Mindefield
- that there is a direct link between the "]>" issue and QuirksMode.
--
leif halvard silli