Re: Doctypes that trigger quirks mode (was Re: Legacy Doctype and Doctype Versioning)

Maciej Stachowiak, Tue, 16 Feb 2010 19:19:15 -0800:

> On Feb 16, 2010, at 7:05 PM, Leif Halvard Silli wrote:
>
>> Maciej Stachowiak, Wed, 20 Jan 2010 19:15:02 -0800:

>>> I suspect most people know this, but just to be clear, the HTML 4.01
>>> Strict DTD will *not* trigger quirks mode.
>>
>> No, Maciej, this is not correct. Anymore.
>>
>> Not in Safari 4. In the current version of Safari, this variant of the
>> strict Doctype triggers QuirksMode:
>>
>> 	<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01//EN"
>> 	[<!ATTLIST P myattr CDATA #implied  >]>
>
> Are you reporting a bug in WebKit or a bug in the spec? WebKit bugs
> should go to <http://bugs.webkit.org/>.

When I understand where the bug is ... then I can report it the right
place. ;-)

>> Whereas it does not trigger quirks mode in Opera 10.10, Firefox 3.6,
>> Konqueror or IE. I also _suppose_ that in Safari 3, then it did not
>> trigger QuirksMode (since it doesn't trigger quirks in Konqueror)
>>
>> In the just days old Opera 10.5 beta, however, there it _does_ trigger
>> quirks mode. (Whereas in Opera 10.10, then it does not.)
>>
>> Are Webkit and Opera starting to treat anything that hasn't been
>> specified to trigger Standards mode in HTML5 as QuirksMode triggers? Is
>> this an effect of HTML5 defining QuirksMode as the default?
>
> HTML5 does not define quirks mode as the default.

I'm sorry. I jumped over a ";" in the text. My bad.

> If a doctype is
> present, then it the document is in strict mode unless it is one of
> the doctypes that specifically triggers quirks mode. The list is here:
>
> http://dev.w3.org/html5/spec/Overview.html#quirks-mode-doctypes
>
> I do not believe your doctype should trigger quirks mode per that
> list unless I am misreading it. That being said, if you see a flaw in
> that list, please report it.

OK. So this means that Opera 10.5 and Safari have bugs. Good to know!
--
leif halvard silli