Doctypes that trigger quirks mode (was Re: Legacy Doctype and Doctype Versioning)

On Feb 16, 2010, at 7:05 PM, Leif Halvard Silli wrote:

> Maciej Stachowiak, Wed, 20 Jan 2010 19:15:02 -0800:

>>> Yes.  From the spec, these two trigger quirks mode: [...]
>>> http://www.whatwg.org/specs/web-apps/current-work/#dfnReturnLink-6
>>
>> I suspect most people know this, but just to be clear, the HTML 4.01
>> Strict DTD will *not* trigger quirks mode.
>
> No, Maciej, this is not correct. Anymore.
>
> Not in Safari 4. In the current version of Safari, this variant of the
> strict Doctype triggers QuirksMode:
>
> 	<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01//EN"
> 	[<!ATTLIST P myattr CDATA #implied  >]>

Are you reporting a bug in WebKit or a bug in the spec? WebKit bugs
should go to <http://bugs.webkit.org/>.

> Whereas it does not trigger quirks mode in Opera 10.10, Firefox 3.6,
> Konqueror or IE. I also _suppose_ that in Safari 3, then it did not
> trigger QuirksMode (since it doesn't trigger quirks in Konqueror)
>
> In the just days old Opera 10.5 beta, however, there it _does_ trigger
> quirks mode. (Whereas in Opera 10.10, then it does not.)
>
> Are Webkit and Opera starting to treat anything that hasn't been
> specified to trigger Standards mode in HTML5 as QuirksMode triggers?
> Is
> this an effect of HTML5 defining QuirksMode as the default?

HTML5 does not define quirks mode as the default. If a doctype is
present, then it the document is in strict mode unless it is one of
the doctypes that specifically triggers quirks mode. The list is here:

http://dev.w3.org/html5/spec/Overview.html#quirks-mode-doctypes

I do not believe your doctype should trigger quirks mode per that list
unless I am misreading it. That being said, if you see a flaw in that
list, please report it.

Regards,
Maciej