A question about HTML5 elements and SVG/MathML

From: Steven Roussey <sroussey@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 15 Feb 2010 14:01:49 -0800
To: public-html@w3.org
Knowing that SVG and MathML were to be integrated into HTML5, and that
their use might therefore increase (even now), I worked to make
Firebug better understand and deal with elements from those namespaces
in the latest release for XHTML and HTML with object/embeds. Other
than that, my experience with them is rather minimal, but that is my
background in this regard.

Question: Are there terms in use (for casual reference when speaking
on this list or elsewhere) to describe and/or differentiate between
the elements in HTML5 as listed in the spec [1] vs. those included by
reference? For any future discussion, I want to be sure to use the
right nomenclature.

Observation: And while I see specific reference to SVG and MathML in
the syntax part of the spec [2], there is no reference in the elements
section. I had expected to see svn and math listed, but not defined,
other than by reference. Or perhaps a note as there is in the syntax
section. Also, I would have expected some mention in the references
section. I suppose brevity won out. Just curious. I did not find a
suitable search result that would shed light on this. If someone could
provide a link it would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Steven Roussey

[1] http://dev.w3.org/html5/markup/spec.html#elements