Re: ISSUE-30 counter-proposal

From: Sam Ruby <rubys@intertwingly.net>
Date: Mon, 15 Feb 2010 13:36:23 -0500
To: Leif Halvard Silli <xn--mlform-iua@xn--mlform-iua.no>
CC: public-html@w3.org
Leif Halvard Silli wrote:
> Ian Hickson, Sun, 14 Feb 2010 08:54:07 +0000 (UTC):
>   [...]
>> == Rationale ==
>>
>> Several studies have been performed. They have shown that:
>   [...]
>> * Most users (more than 90%) don't want the interaction model that
>> longdesc="" implies.
>> [http://webaim.org/projects/screenreadersurvey2/#images]
>
> You don't find basis in that survey for saying the above. And I said in
> November [1] that I fail to see how that survey undermines @longdesc.
>
> Here is why:

I'd like to ask that people only post if they had new information to
add. The goal here is to keep the list from being bogged down by long
threads that don't seem to be producing good results.

My suggestion at this time is that people focus either on advocating
updates to one of the existing proposals regarding issue 30:

http://esw.w3.org/topic/HTML/ChangeProposals/longdesc
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html/2010Feb/0393.html

... or stating their intent to produce another proposal.

- Sam Ruby