Re: Video copy protection

From: Jonas Sicking <jonas@sicking.cc>
Date: Tue, 9 Feb 2010 16:09:45 -0800
To: David Singer <singer@apple.com>
Cc: "public-html@w3.org WG" <public-html@w3.org>
On Tue, Feb 9, 2010 at 3:59 PM, David Singer <singer@apple.com> wrote:

> On Feb 9, 2010, at 11:57 , Jonas Sicking wrote:
>>> Because that's an open-ended problem,
>>
>> I still don't understand. How is getting the 'no save' meta data
>> different from getting meta data like duration and frame rate?
>>

> pretty well any media subsystem worth using will tell you the width and height, duration, etc. of the media.  Not many have explicit access to this kind of data;  you'd need special-purpose code to grovel around in movie files, mp4 files, avi files, ogg files, mxf files, rtsp SDP descriptions, mpeg-2 transport streams, .... well, you get the idea.

I see.

I still feel like this is an implementation limitation that can be
overcome though. Seems silly to cement this in standards forever just
because of a limitation in API that can be fixed if the interested
parties just invested enough time to expose this data through the
various levels of API.

I guess we could argue more about it if this proposal goes anywhere.
Based on experiences with the exact same proposal for font formats
though, I suspect and hope it won't.

/ Jonas