Re: Integration of HTM

Anne,

Seeing as you don't think people to need to hire consultants, I need you to
make this directly accessible to a person with:

- a cognitive impairment
- a person with dyslexia
- a user with RP
- a mobility impaired user

http://www.nysubway.com/map/

Please enlighten us.

Rich

Rich Schwerdtfeger

             "Anne van
             Kesteren"
             <annevk@opera.com                                          To
             >                         "Ian Hickson" <ian@hixie.ch>,
                                       Richard
             02/04/2010 03:35          Schwerdtfeger/Austin/IBM@IBMUS
                                       "Jonas Sicking" <jonas@sicking.cc>,
                                       "public-html@w3.org"
                                       <public-html@w3.org>
                                                                   Subject
                                       Re: Integration of HTM

On Thu, 04 Feb 2010 02:49:56 +0100, Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch> wrote:
> On Wed, 3 Feb 2010, Richard Schwerdtfeger wrote:
>> We are calling it the accessible DOM for canvas. It starts and ends with
>> the <accessible></accessible> tags and it is not visually rendered.
>
> I really don't think this is a good idea, as explained in the following
> e-mails:
>
>    http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html/2010Jan/0488.html
>    http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html/2010Jan/1151.html
>    http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html/2010Jan/0931.html
>
> I do not think it is necessary to have multiple inline alternatives for
> <canvas>, nor do I think it is necessary for widgets that represent the
> graphically-rendered widgets on a <canvas> to be marked up separately
> from an inline alternative representation. The existing features of HTML
> already allow us to have multiple alternatives. Adding more features for
> this is IMHO a mistake.

I wholeheartedly agree. Making accessibility into something that only
consultants can do correctly would be a huge step backwards.

--
Anne van Kesteren
http://annevankesteren.nl/