Re: Integration of HTM

From: Richard Schwerdtfeger <schwer@us.ibm.com>
Date: Thu, 4 Feb 2010 10:40:00 -0600
To: Maciej Stachowiak <mjs@apple.com>
Cc: Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch>, Jonas Sicking <jonas@sicking.cc>, "public-html@w3.org" <public-html@w3.org>

Maciej,

This is in contradiction with your earlier statements.

Rich

Rich Schwerdtfeger

             Maciej Stachowiak
             <mjs@apple.com>
             02/04/2010 10:16          Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch>
                                       Richard
                                       Schwerdtfeger/Austin/IBM@IBMUS,
                                       Jonas Sicking <jonas@sicking.cc>,
                                       "public-html@w3.org"
                                       <public-html@w3.org>
                                                                   Subject
                                       Re: Integration of HTM

On Feb 3, 2010, at 5:49 PM, Ian Hickson wrote:

> On Wed, 3 Feb 2010, Richard Schwerdtfeger wrote:
>>
>> We are calling it the accessible DOM for canvas. It starts and ends with

>> the <accessible></accessible> tags and it is not visually rendered.
>
> I really don't think this is a good idea, as explained in the following
> e-mails:
>
>   http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html/2010Jan/0488.html
>   http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html/2010Jan/1151.html
>   http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html/2010Jan/0931.html
>
> I do not think it is necessary to have multiple inline alternatives for
> <canvas>, nor do I think it is necessary for widgets that represent the
> graphically-rendered widgets on a <canvas> to be marked up separately
from
> an inline alternative representation. The existing features of HTML
> already allow us to have multiple alternatives. Adding more features for
> this is IMHO a mistake.

I agree. I don't think the <accessible> tag is an improvement. In the
common case, the same content can work as an accessible DOM and as fallback
content. And that's also the model for other elements that use fallback
content partly for accessibility purposes (e.g. <object>). I don't see the
case for making canvas accessibility intrinsically more complicated.

Regards,
Maciej

graycol.gif
(image/gif attachment: graycol.gif)