RE: suggestion for abolition of <hgroup>

From: Dean Leigh <dean.leigh@deanleigh.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 30 Dec 2010 09:57:00 -0000
To: "Leif Halvard Silli" <xn--mlform-iua@xn--mlform-iua.no>, "James Clark" <jjc@jclark.com>
Cc: "Ian Hickson" <ian@hixie.ch>, "HTML WG" <public-html@w3.org>
>> Leif Halvard Silli - Sent: 30 December 2010 03:56 To: James Clark
>> Perhaps a designated <subtitle> element would be better then?

H1 - H6 make great Headings.
What they don’t make is great Titles*

Please can we broaden the topic as we are focusing on headings and missing an opportunity to introduce Title and Sub-Title where they should be, visible in the page not hidden in <head>.

>> And if so, why not drop <hgroup> entirely and allow a subtitle element inside h[1-6] elements?

And my point entirely - a "sub" (sic) "title" should surely be a subsidiary of "Title" and not a "Heading".

As for <hgroup> itself, this may be useful still for page content but HTML falls way short of a having a good solutions for TOCs.

Regards,
Dean Leigh