RE: Introducing the W3C HTML/XML Task Force

Tab Atkins Jr. wrote:
> > On Tue, Dec 28, 2010 at 6:46 AM, Norman Walsh wrote:
> >
> > The short answer is that an issue was raised at the W3C Technical
> > Architecture Group, http://www.w3.org/2001/tag/group/track/issues/67
> > summarized by TV Raman:
> >
> >  "Perhaps the biggest challenge that faces the W3C's technical work
> >  on the Web is the growing chasm between HTML and XML"
> >
> > The TAG decided to to form a task force to investigate this issue and
> > what possible solutions, if any, exist. I think the first thing the
> > task force must do is articulate the issue in more detail.
>
> Neither the issue nor your introductory message actually list the
> problem(s) to be solved.  They both state that there is a growing rift
> between HTML and XML, and then...?

Precisely!

It seems to me that the problem is *seen* as a growing chasm between HTML
and XML - that there is a perception that this is happening and may continue
to grow. Whether this perception is founded in reality or FUD seems to be
one question which warrants further discussion and investigation, and worth
pursuing.

Another question that comes to my mind is whether or not this is a good
thing, a bad thing, or a neutral thing, and I personally am not sure of that
either.

What does seem clear to many is that the current stack of NEWT (New Exciting
Web Technologies -
http://www.brucelawson.co.uk/2010/meet-newt-new-exciting-web-technologies/),
of which HTML5 is clearly a corner-stone, seems to be heavily focused on Web
Applications, with the idea of "The Semantic Web" trailing off in the
distance, at least in the minds of many (including mainstream media). Again,
this may be a good thing or not, but has anybody actually bothered to ask
those questions, and come up with answers based on fact, rather than simple
assertions? Working in an environment such as mine, I *do* know that the
more 'academic' pursuits of The Semantic Web is something that many smart
people are focused on today: they normally don't get written about in
Mashable or TechCrunch but that is not to me any real measure of importance
or value.

If, as Ian asserts, HTML5 actually brings "the two... in fact closer than
ever", then proof should be easy to produce and confirm that no problem
exists. If the real desire however is to ensure that the two pursuits of Web
Applications and the Semantic Web remain close enough together that they can
exist inter-operably, then an exercise that undertakes a real examination to
ensure that this goal is being met surely should be welcomed, and if indeed
chasms (intended or otherwise) are discovered then we can act collectively
to address those rifts before they become insurmountable.

I for one look forward to the results.

JF