Re: suggestion for abolition of <hgroup>

The attribute idea may open a can of worms. I initially misunderstood the wording in the spec explaining the hgroup. Think of the hgroup element as the alias of the highest ranking h1-h6 element. After studying the spec and the comments here, I believe the intent of the hgroup is correct. The 'redefinition' of hX elements while used as subtitles within an hgroup is fairly straightforward, but needs to be worded so. With the hazard of being wordy, the <hgroup> element could be renamed the more descriptive <headinggroup> or <headingblock>.

Here is a suggested wording. It is by no means spec quality.

The hgroup element is the alias of the first highest ranking h1-h6 element that is its direct descendent. Therefore, the hgroup element assumes the rank and any implied section start that the first occurrence of the highest ranking h1-h6 element within it would represent. Any other h1-h6 elements of equal or lower rank within the hgroup are removed from the outline and do not start implied sections.

Another thread discusses concerns of the hgroup element and ARIA. I can not judge how just a clearer explanation may remedy any other concerns with ARIA.

	hgroup and ARIA outline in ISSUE-129 [Was: SSUE-129: replace or modify the ARIA section of the HTML5 spec - chnage proposal and replacement spec text]

Doug Jones