Re: ISSUE 30 @longdesc use cases

On Mon, 23 Aug 2010 14:34:06 +0200, David Singer <singer@apple.com> wrote:

> OK, I hesitate to ask, point this out.  It is perhaps a minor point.
>
> There is an assumption/assertion here that a long description is hugely
> relevant but only through accessibility provisions.

I don't think so. I certainly assume no such thing.

I assume that there are designers who will *not* put such a notice on
their page (a conclusion based on more than a decade of asking for such
things, and talking to designers and the people who employ or contract
them about why it doesn't happen).

> But there may easily be puzzled users who do not have vision issues.

Indeed. It's a good use case for implementing it in the browser (as we
did).

The biggest flaw in our implementation is that we don't automatically
notify the user whether there is a long description - they have to check
for each iamge. (The browser+AT implementations I know *do* announce when
there is a description available). We have a similar issue with accesskey,
which we do better than other browsers (by providing easy access to all
the defined accesskeys) but the user has to ask through a direct action if
there are any rather than being able to have an active non-interfering
notification.

> There is nothing wrong with a page that says "A detailed description of
> this can be found _here_.",

(except that it breaks the usability guideline to use distinctive text for
links, which would suggest the link be in the earlier part of the sentence)

> and indeed this will, in fact, benefit a number of users other than
> those using screen readers (users new to the subject, in some cases, for
> example).

Indeed. Users who have limited vision, but don't typically use a screen
reader for an example group that significantly expands the target
audience. Another group is "people who don't actually understand the very
intuitive graphics designed by the clever graphic artist" which has been a
problem I have often suffered...

> Not using the attribute does not preclude you from building
> informatively constructed web sites, does it? I don't find "A detailed
> description of this can be found _here_." 'traumatic' or 'confusing',
> myself, in general.

One difference is that you don't have any explicit association between the
image and its description, whereas an img element with a longdesc
attribute pointing to an absolute URL actually gets benefit from
cut-and-paste construction.

Also, while this is perfectly possible, as I note above it doesn't seem to
have taken off, and a reason I have often heard cited in discussion with
people who might be expected to do this but don't has been that they don't
want to mess up their visual design. (Yes, this is anecdotal evidence).
The attribute has the advantage of meeting the use cases (internal or
external descriptions can be linked with explicit association) without
placing any constraint on design.

cheers

Chaals