Update on Issue-27, was: ACTION-182 and Issue-27

From: Julian Reschke <julian.reschke@gmx.de>
Date: Fri, 13 Aug 2010 12:23:57 +0200
To: Maciej Stachowiak <mjs@apple.com>
CC: Mark Nottingham <mnot@mnot.net>, Paul Cotton <Paul.Cotton@microsoft.com>, Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch>, Philippe Le Hegaret <plh@w3.org>, "public-html@w3.org" <public-html@w3.org>
Hi,

here's an update on where we are with testing the IANA registry, as seen
by one of the IETF-appointed Designated Experts:

1) There have been two registration attempts for link relations:

1a) "alternate"
(<http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/link-relations/current/msg00025.html>)
-- this currently is stuck because we haven't agreed on what the URI for
the referenced document should be; Ian proposed
<http://dev.w3.org/html5/spec/Overview.html#rel-alternate>, while I
think the registration should point to something more permanent, like an
actual Working Draft. Advice from the HTML WG appreciated.

1b) "pingback"
(<http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/link-relations/current/msg00035.html>)
-- this currently is stuck in that the referenced document
(<http://www.hixie.ch/specs/pingback/pingback>) may not satisfy the
requirements in
<http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-nottingham-http-link-header-10#section-6.2.1>;
see follow up mails for a discussion about how to proceed.

2) There has been one registration attempt for two new pieces of
application data in the registry
(<http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/link-relations/current/msg00000.html>).
For these we had several questions about the actual fields, their
defaults, and what spec to reference
(<http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/link-relations/current/msg00030.html>).
For the technical questions, I'll start separate threads over here,
because we'd like to see whether there's a WG consensus behind these
registrations.

Best regards, Julian