Re: thoughts about a visible caret

On Sat, 7 Aug 2010, Maciej Stachowiak wrote:

> On contenteditable implementation differences: I have heard from many
> Web developers that contenteditable implementation differences are a
> major pain point. The HTML5 draft specifies contenteditable in pretty
> vague terms, which is something of a departure for the spec. One thing
> we should explore is whether the spec can be more detailed, for example
> by giving the exact required behavior for every execCommand operation.
> Are there operations besides execCommand that are a problem for
> interoperability?

This is an outstanding issue which is blocked on getting a new DOM Range
spec that is defined in enough detail that we can then define
execCommand() in terms of a set of generic range operations. Since we have
no editor working on DOM Range, there's no ETA for this. It's on my list
of things to work on, but I doubt I'll get to it in the next couple of
years, given the other (relatively more important) things on that list.