Re: Polyglot Markup/XML encoding declaration

Kornel Lesiński, Sun, 01 Aug 2010 15:54:37 +0100:
> On Sun, 01 Aug 2010 08:55:28 +0100, Leif Halvard Silli wrote:

  [...]
> However, some authors might want to test polyglot documents opened
> from disk
  [...]
>> We have several reason to introduce it. But I agree that there are also
>> reasons to no introduce it.
>
> I'm not aware of reasons other than ability to declare legacy
> encodings in XML. What are the other reasons for it?

Use case: To open non-UTF-8/non-UTF-16 encoded documents from the disc.
(See your own comment above.= Opening such documents as XHTML
documents, become impractical without an encoding declaration that
XHTML tools/consumers understand.
--
leif halvard silli