Re: Transition to HTML5

On Fri, Apr 30, 2010 at 10:34 AM, Jasper Magick <jasper.magick@gmail.com> wrote:
> What is the most pain-free way of transitioning from XHTML1.0 Strict to
> HTML5?
> Some of what I read about HTML5 seems sloppy, like optional quotations
> around values.
> However, it seems like the better way to go since there are still some
> (though few) browsers that still don't support XHTML (application/xhtml+xml)

The easiest way?  Just swap your doctype to <!DOCTYPE html> and keep
serving your page as text/html.  You've now transitioned to HTML5.
^_^  (Well, as long as you're not using some of the more xml-ish
features like self-closing your <script src>s , but since you're
probably serving your page as text/html right now, I doubt you're
doing so.)

You don't have to use the features like optional quotes.  Those exist
partially because legacy browsers supported them, and thus legacy
pages use them, and so we have to support them in some way to fulfill
our goal of being compatible, and partially just because, well, it's
unambiguous in many cases to omit the quotes, so why require them?
You can always use quotes at all times if you wish, of course; it
won't make your HTML invalid.

~TJ