Re: ISSUES 90, 91, 93, 96, 97 -- if you support these change proposals

From: Edward O'Connor <hober0@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 29 Apr 2010 20:47:03 -0700
To: Shelley Powers <shelley.just@gmail.com>
Cc: "Tab Atkins Jr." <jackalmage@gmail.com>, Laura Carlson <laura.lee.carlson@gmail.com>, HTMLWG WG <public-html@w3.org>
> Does anyone seriously believe that developers are going to use this
> far more cumbersome workaround waiting for this less that useful
> element to get broad implementation?

While I'm not crazy about the wording of your question, yes. Not only do
I expect developers to use shims like Mathias' <details> plugin, Mike
Taylor's <datalist>, placeholder="", and autofocus="" plugins[1], and
others, I embrace the general trend. This is exactly what libraries like
Modernizr[2] and the html5shiv[3] are for.

Mike gave a great talk last weekend at the Bay Area jQuery Conference
about this. He hasn't yet put the slides up on his site, but here's a
decent enough summary of things:

         http://www.davetech.com/blog/future_proof_html5_jquery

{Pro,Re}gressive Enhancement FTW,
Ted