Re: <!DOCTYPE html> vs (polyglot) spec

From: Henri Sivonen <hsivonen@iki.fi>
Date: Tue, 27 Apr 2010 06:13:09 -0700 (PDT)
To: Leif Halvard Silli <xn--mlform-iua@xn--mlform-iua.no>
Cc: HTMLwg <public-html@w3.org>, Eliot Graff <eliotgra@microsoft.com>, Maciej Stachowiak <mjs@apple.com>
In my opinion, tools like KompoZer should use the XML serialization if the file name ends in .xhtml and the HTML serialization if the file name ends in .html.

Polyglot documents provide enough rope for authors to shoot themselves in the foot with, so I think tools like KompoZer shouldn't attempt to generate polyglot documents. Not attempting the generate polyglot documents removes the need to address problems related to polyglot documents.

--
Henri Sivonen
hsivonen@iki.fi